Raise your hand if your nights go something like this:
-Come home exhausted from work already ready for bed
– Feel like you have a million things to do and not enough time
-Automatically become stressed when you walk through the door and have to start dinner
-Feel overwhelmed and just want five minutes to yourself
-Feeling fifty demands from housework to your kids not stopping saying mommy 20,000 times in a row
-Not knowing which task to complete first and which one will have to wait till tomorrow because you are so damn tired
You need a nightly routine that works for you:
So for the longest time, I didn’t have a nightly routine I would usually come home from work mad and exhausted, and make dinner, get settled and usually fall asleep when putting Brielle to bed. I hated it the reason why is because I wanted to have some time to just relax but I couldn’t do that because I would wait to do my homework and half the time I would be so tired I would fall asleep before doing anything. I wanted to make our nightly routine a lot more smoother and enjoyable so I started setting up things that would make that happen:
- I now make a point to make a lot of my meals in the crock pot, It works for how busy I am and Brielle doesn’t seem to mind and its done when I walk through the door which is a win win in my book, I also really like sheet pan meals because you put everything in the oven it takes like 5 seconds to throw together.
- I let Brielle watch her favorite show and while she is doing this, I workout or write.
- I let Brielle play with her toys, while I do homework or clean/organize whichever I need to do that night
- Then either its bath night, or we will sit down and read together for about 15 minutes, Brielle won’t sit still usually longer than that ha ha.
- I put Brielle to sleep, and then I make my little cup of calm and read quotes for a little bit and then go to bed. (yes, i read way too many quotes all the time lol) unless its Thursday then that’s my Momma Self Care night candles, bath bomb, music, face mask I go all out once a week because I deserve it and so do YOU.
I will say that, this is what works for us BUT every single night is not going to look like this sometimes I come home in a bad mood, sometimes Brielle is sick and we are up at night, sometimes I will procrastinate and leave my homework to get done late at night. This nightly routine makes me feel more relaxed which is awesome, but I also have to realize that life gets in the way so as long as I am trying my best to stay consistent that’s all we can really do! All I am saying is that you should really try to create a nightly routine for yourself if you are feeling frazzled and overwhelmed it can be a GAME CHANGER, not every night will turn out like this but if most nights do I can promise you that you will feel better and wake up feeling a lot more rested too!
Ideas for a nightly routine:
- Add a bath after the kids go to bed
- Start a gratitude journal
- Or just write it out
- Put the kids to bed earlier so you can have a few extra minutes to yourself
- Plan quicker meals, use the crock pot more so you can use the extra time you would be cooking getting chores done
- Take five minutes and have a cup of tea by yourself
- Start a yoga practice
- Read some quotes, Drink some Calm Vitality and actually relax before bed for 10 minutes
- Put the kids to bed a little earlier, and Netflix binge or even if you don’t have kids get in bed a little earlier and catch up on our favorite show
- Incorporate a mask night for your face into a few nights of your week
- Really just think about what makes you feel relaxed, and take a few minutes every night and do that
Find what works for you and roll with it 🙂