17 In Mindset

How to create a nightly routine that works for you

Raise your hand if your nights go something like this:

-Come home exhausted from work already ready for bed

– Feel like you have a million things to do and not enough time

-Automatically become stressed when you walk through the door and have to start dinner

-Feel overwhelmed and just want five minutes to yourself

-Feeling fifty demands from housework to your kids not stopping saying mommy 20,000 times in a row

-Not knowing which task to complete first and which one will have to wait till tomorrow because you are so damn tired

You need a nightly routine that works for you:

So for the longest time, I didn’t have a nightly routine I would usually come home from work mad and exhausted, and make dinner, get settled and usually fall asleep when putting Brielle to bed. I hated it the reason why is because I wanted to have some time to just relax but I couldn’t do that because I would wait to do my homework and half the time I would be so tired I would fall asleep before doing anything. I wanted to make our nightly routine a lot more smoother and enjoyable so I started setting up things that would make that happen:

• I now make a point to make a lot of my meals in the crock pot, It works for how busy I am and Brielle doesn’t seem to mind and its done when I walk through the door which is a win win in my book, I also really like sheet pan meals because you put everything in the oven it takes like 5 seconds to throw together.
  • I let Brielle watch her favorite show and while she is doing this, I workout or write.
  • I let Brielle play with her toys, while I do homework or clean/organize whichever I need to do that night
  • Then either its bath night, or we will sit down and read together for about 15 minutes, Brielle won’t sit still usually longer than that ha ha.
  • I put Brielle to sleep, and then I make my little cup of calm and read quotes for a little bit and then go to bed. (yes, i read way too many quotes all the time lol) unless its Thursday then that’s my Momma Self Care night candles, bath bomb, music, face mask I go all out once a week because I deserve it and so do YOU.

I will say that, this is what works for us BUT every single night is not going to look like this sometimes I come home in a bad mood, sometimes Brielle is sick and we are up at night, sometimes I will procrastinate and leave my homework to get done late at night. This nightly routine makes me feel more relaxed which is awesome, but I also have to realize that life gets in the way so as long as I am trying my best to stay consistent that’s all we can really do! All I am saying is that you should really try to create a nightly routine for yourself if you are feeling frazzled and overwhelmed it can be a GAME CHANGER, not every night will turn out like this but if most nights do I can promise you that you will feel better and wake up feeling a lot more rested too!

Ideas for a nightly routine:

• Add a bath after the kids go to bed
  • Start a gratitude journal
  • Or just write it out
  • Read
  • Put the kids to bed earlier so you can have a few extra minutes to yourself
  • Plan quicker meals, use the crock pot more so you can use the extra time you would be cooking getting chores done
  • Take five minutes and have a cup of tea by yourself
  • Start a yoga practice
  • Read some quotes, Drink some Calm Vitality and actually relax before bed for 10 minutes
  • Put the kids to bed a little earlier, and Netflix binge or even if you don’t have kids get in bed a little earlier and catch up on our favorite show
  • Incorporate a mask night for your face into a few nights of your week
  • Really just think about what makes you feel relaxed, and take a few minutes every night and do that

Find what works for you and roll with it 🙂

You Might Also Like

Lara | Grits in the City
    March 13, 2018 at 6:24 pm

Getting this right is so important! I’m learning this has such a huge impact on my quality of sleep and ability to get up and get going the next morning. I’ve become a fan of reading and journaling – but this is a great reminder I need to continue to keep this top of mind.

Alexa Bartimus
      March 13, 2018 at 8:11 pm

I agree, reading is by the far the most relaxing thing! It does impact my sleep and how I feel in the morning too especially when I wait till the last minute to do homework and stay up too late!

Lara | Grits in the City
        March 21, 2018 at 8:19 pm

Definitely! Also think the idea to focus on a gratitude journal specifically is a great one. Nice note to end the day on – positive and streamlined.

Aislinn Blankenship
    March 13, 2018 at 6:26 pm

This is absolutely something I have been trying to implement.
    I always come home exhausted and waste time doing useless things.

Alexa Bartimus
      March 13, 2018 at 8:10 pm

SAME! I did too, I was like I really need to start changing the ways my nights are set up!

March 13, 2018 at 6:28 pm

This is a nice post and I will follow your stri by step way as I need this at the time I got to see your amazing post . 🌸🌸🌸🌸

Alexa Bartimus
      March 13, 2018 at 8:10 pm

I am so glad, let me know how you feel after starting one 🙂

March 13, 2018 at 10:38 pm

I read every night before I go to sleep. I can’t fall asleep if I don’t read first.

Alexa Bartimus
      March 14, 2018 at 1:58 pm

I love that it’s such a habit for you 🙂

March 14, 2018 at 1:49 pm

I’ve found a really good routine for myself recently…I’ve been doing intermittent fasting so I don’t eat dinner) And I have so much time in the evenings! I work out right when I get home, (before I’d eat and then have to wait cause I didn’t feel like working out right away). By then your night is gone!

Elise Ho
    March 14, 2018 at 11:19 pm

I find that great night routine helps me to have a great morning. I love some of the things you do and can see them working for me too.

March 21, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Great tips on having a nightly routine. I need to find a good soothing cup of tea!!!

March 21, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Awesome ideas! I really need to get better at crockpot meals and forming a nightly routine!

Maya Griffin
    March 21, 2018 at 1:53 pm

I think reading before bed really helps! It makes me sleepy and calm.

March 21, 2018 at 2:22 pm

I love this! The intro explained exactly how my night goes as soon as I get home from work. Tired, cranky, have to cook dinner, have to get homework done. It’s so overwhelming! But I love it the idea of having a night time routine. I think it’ll definitely help me do everything I need to do & also get time for myself. Awesome post!

Bianca N Bishop
    March 21, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Getting your night routine is so important because it really sets the tone for the next day. Great post!

March 21, 2018 at 4:57 pm

Sticking to a time within that routine is so important, I find I may have a routine but the longer I wait to get it started the less energy I have in doing it.