9 In Mindset

The Many Faces of Perseverance: Featuring Ariel Mosimann

I am a huge planner. I have always had a life plan, maybe not the specifics but a direction for sure. I was going to get my undergrad in English then dual MBA/JD with a focus on corporate law. My dad, who has always supported my every decision, told me that I NEEDED to get my bachelors in business, that is the only thing he would recommend. My parent’s approval and support meant everything to me, so I went along with my dad’s change of plan.

About halfway through my degree in marketing (which I loved), I was in a horrific car crash. On my way to class, I was t- boned by 16-foot box truck who ran the red light. I was utterly unable to stop the accident. I sustained a shattered right wrist, lacerations, and soft tissue damage. My truck sustained 360-degree damage and was deemed totaled. I did not drive for two years, I took a year off from school, and the vibrant goal-oriented girl I used to be was a distant memory.

I was diagnosed with PTSD, depression, and anxiety. I worked with several counselors to find the correct tools to start putting my life back together and discover some sense of normalcy. Those closest to me know what to do when I have a panic attack, they hold me together when I have a terrible day. I am still learning about all the myriad of ways my life has changed, but it is slowly getting better over time.

It has been six years since the crash knocked my life off course. Today I am happily married, I have my degree in marketing, and I just started my own marketing business. My little company was born two months ago, I have three clients, and am operating in the green. I have been so thoroughly pushed out of my comfort zone that it has been both terrifying and rewarding. I have learned to listen to what my mind and body need and accommodate those needs. I have spoken to potential clients, attended local networking events, and even made several friends. While I may no longer be the entirely independent girl I used to be I have learned that allowing others to help isn’t a detriment, it is something that makes me strong. I have more empathy for others and am more grateful.

My life is nothing like I always pictured, but I am right where I am supposed to be.

Find Ariel Below:

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

Chloe
    March 15, 2018 at 11:15 pm

Such a interesting read! Not enough people talk about mental health or personal issues.

lola
    March 15, 2018 at 11:21 pm

Wow you are such an inspiration! You have been able to achieve so much despite what you have been through and thats so admirable!!

Jacqueline
    March 15, 2018 at 11:22 pm

First of thank you for sharing your story! I went to college got a degree that I’m currently not happy with. But most of all I’m not at where I thought I would be at this time and point in my life. Thank you for the reminder that some times things happen for a reason.

Terez
    March 15, 2018 at 11:47 pm

Such a powerful story! You’re a strong and brave woman. Love you made the best of what happened and are happy. That’s what matters. 💞

Josephine
    March 16, 2018 at 12:01 am

Wow! What an amazing story! I couldn’t imagine going through what you did. Everything happens for a reason ❤️

Samary
    March 16, 2018 at 2:28 am

Perseverance is key!!!

Bianca N Bishop
    March 16, 2018 at 3:53 am

Such an amazing story!!!

Ingrid
    March 16, 2018 at 11:25 am

Ariel as we share our stories we learn and grow together. I have learned from the challenges that I have faced. You seem to have become stronger as a result of your challenges. Our challenges make us stronger, better people who are more empathetic towards others. I commend you for having the courage to rise above your vulnerabilities to share.

Yolanda
    March 16, 2018 at 4:26 pm

What a good testimony! It is great that you have been able to push yourself through it. Do what you love and continue to prosper ❤️ ❤️